Sunday, December 30, 2007
Don't you hate it when you get cheated by blurbs? Like what attracted you in the blurb so did not happen in the book? For instance:
'George's unusual and gorgeous creations receive mixed reactions, with more attention going to Yukari's good looks than the clothes she modeled.'
That didn't really happen in Paradise Kiss (or is it just because of the translation?). I thought the story would be more interesting if it happened. 'Cause the thing about the artist's art not being able to appeal to the masses has been expounded on too much. And i thought George's design had a lot of conventional appeal:

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised to find this dress on a Disney character.
But apart from this, Paradise Kiss is an amazing manga. The main character, an irritable and mediocre student struggling in a top school, is someone that i can relate VERY STRONGLY to. And she makes painful mistakes. They're not the usual 'i don't think he likes me but actually he does and we spend the whole series figuring it out' kind of mistake, but mistakes like being in a destructive relationship, ceasing to put effort in school, etc.
Like aud said, there's not much of a story if the character doesn't make mistakes.
After reading the manga, I think designing sounds fun, because it's one of those rare careers in which your individuality can be seen. It's not like an office job, where the result is practically the same no matter who does it.
But i don't have the imagination for it =/