Sunday, January 20, 2008


A couple of cute quotes from Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters:

"Bore that I am, I mentioned R. H. Blyth's definition of sentimentality: that we are being sentimental when we give to a thing more tenderness than God gives to it. I said (sententiously?) that God undoubtedly loves kittens, but not, in all probability, with Technicolor bootees on their paws. He leaves that creative touch to scriptwriters."

Think that's true. It makes me wonder whether i'm holding too dear certain things that I hold dear in life. It's like, i'd be quite embarrassed to admit to God that i have an obsessive interest in, say, men in uniforms (this is just an example; it has nothing to do with the reality =p).

"Much talk from him, and quite intelligent, on the virtues of living the imperfect life, of accepting one's own and other's weaknesses. I agree with him, but only in theory. I'll champion indiscrimination till doomsday, on the ground that it leads to health and a kind of very real, enviable happiness.... But for a discriminating man to dispossess himself of poetry, go beyond poetry. That is, he couldn't possibly learn or drive himself to like bad poetry in the abstract, let alone equate it with good poetry. He would have to drop poetry altogether. I said it would be no easy thing to do."

Totally agree. It sounds like our favourite art-is-subjective-or-objective and morality-vs-relativism arguments. Life is happier and easier when one doesn't blow a coronary each time one encounters bad art or bad morals, but that means that one cannot judge art or morals at all, and thus will have to give both up. That's kinda hard. Can you remain indifferent when old ladies get mugged or when someone slaps you, for no reason at all, hard in the face? Unless you have a schizoid personality, i don't think so.

I love J.D. Salinger =3

ru blogged @ 1:50 pm
TagBoard

Archives

July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
March 2009
June 2009
July 2009
November 2009
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
January 2011
March 2012

LINKS

None as of yet.

CREDITS

sue(:
Blogger
BlogSkins