Monday, August 18, 2008


Haha, this poem is thrice stolen now. It's so beautiful. I is no getting the last stanza though.

The Beautiful Lie


He was about four I think... it was so long ago.
In a garden; he'd done some damage
behind a bright screen of sweet-peas -
snapped a stalk, a stake, I don't recall,
but the grandmother came and saw, and asked him:
"Did you do that?"

Now, if she'd said why did you do that,
he'd never have denied it. She showed him
he had a choice. I could see, in his face,
the new sense, the possible. That word and deed
need not match, that you could say the world
different, to suit you.

When he said "No", I swear it was as moving
as the first time a baby's fist clenches
on a finger, as momentous as the first
taste of fruit. I could feel his eyes looking
through a new window, at a world whose form
and colour weren't fixed

but fluid, that poured like a snake, trembled
around the edges like northern lights, shape-shifted
at the spell of a voice. I could sense him filling
like a glass, hear the unreal sea in his ears.
This is how to make songs, create men, paint pictures,
tell a story.

I think I made up the screen of sweet peas.
Maybe they were beans; maybe there was no screen,
it just felt as if there should be, somehow.
And he was my - no, I don't need to tell that.
I know I made up the screen. And I recall very well
what he had done.


(Sheenagh Pugh)

ru blogged @ 9:31 pm
TagBoard

Archives

July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
March 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
March 2009
June 2009
July 2009
November 2009
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
January 2011
March 2012

LINKS

None as of yet.

CREDITS

sue(:
Blogger
BlogSkins